- Take the keys out of both vehicles (the car should be off). The car should
not be touching the motorcycle.
- Hook the RED (it's usually but
not always red) POSITIVE
jumper cable up to the positive (+) terminal of the car battery.
- Hook the other end of the RED cable up
to the POSITIVE (+) terminal on your bike. MAKE SURE THAT NO PART
OF THE POSITIVE JUMPER CABLE CONTACTS ANY METAL ON YOUR BIKE!!!!! CAN YOU
HEAR ME YELLING AT YOU?!? YOU MAY IF YOU EVEN TOUCH THE
METAL. Ok, I'm done yelling. . . sorry.
- Next, hook one end of the BLACK (again, it's usually black) cable to the negative ( - ) side of the car battery.
- Next, hook the last clamp on the other side of the negative wire to
a good metal part (not chrome though) of your bike. I usually hook it up
to the rear axle nut. If you see a little spark, this is ok.
- Check all of your connections, turn the bike on, and fire it up!!!
No luck? Check out my electrical system
page to see if one of your starting components are bad.
IMPORTANT WARNING !!!
This will only work if both the motorcycle and the car are
NEGATIVE GROUND vehicles. About 99% are negative ground. To be
sure...check to see that the vehicle AND the Motorcycle's negative battery cable eventually is bolted to the